The latest craze in travel is packing cubes. My first question was are they worth it? So here is my take on packing cubes. (Spoiler alert, I bought eBags Ultralight Packing Cubes – Ultimate Packer 7pc Set (Grey))
Let me start by saying I am #teamcarryon. This is important to note because it means I travel light. I love the freedom of having everything with you on the plane and being able to walk straight past all the people waiting to collect their checked baggage. I also love being able to wander cities with all of my stuff and not have to worry about leaving it at the hotel after check out and having to backtrack later in the day to pick it up.
I’ve been traveling for over a decade and take multiple domestic and international trips a year. Last month I travelled to Italy and Rome with a group of 18 students. I decided that it was time to try the packing cubes. I shopped around online, watched a few videos, and liked the idea of the Ultralight cubes by eBags. Having taken them out on their first trip here in my pros and cons:
- eBags make you feel super organised
- You can very easily unpack your whole bag and repack it again very quickly while on the road (great for trips with multiple hotels/cities)
- The Ultralight are ultra light! They make you feel like you have more room in your suitcase even though you are actually adding with the cubes.
- They are all the same colour (if like me your love order to your life) – see also this in the cons list
- Great quality. They are very very thin (hence the name ultralight) but feel and look very high quality. Update (Dec 2018): Two of my bags actually have a small tear on the seams 🙁
- Once you wear some items of clothing you have to put them back in the same cube with your clean clothing (So far I have just put my worn clothing in the bottom of my suitcase until I use all of my clothing). The solution would be to buy a second set and pack them empty to start.
- The Ultralight Packing Cubes come in packs with all the same colour so it is hard to tell which cube has what in it. Long term I will buy some other colours.
Verdict: They didn’t change my travel world but I certainly will be using them every trip from now on. Could I travel without them? Yes! Do I want to? No!