The latest craze in travel is packing cubes. My first question was are they worth it?
Here is my take on packing cubes.
I’ve been traveling for over a decade and take multiple domestic and international trips a year. Last month I travelled to Italy and Rome with a group of 18 students. I decided that it was time to try the packing cubes. I shopped around online, watched a few videos, and liked the idea of the Ultralight cubes by eBags. Having taken them out on their first trip here in my pros and cons:
- eBags make you feel super organised
- You can very easily unpack your whole bag and repack it again very quickly while on the road (great for trips with multiple hotels/cities)
- The Ultralight are ultra light! They make you feel like you have more room in your suitcase even though you are actually adding with the cubes.
- They are all the same colour (if like me your love order to your life) – see also this in the cons list
- Great quality. They are very very thin (hence the name ultralight) but feel and look very high quality. Update (After 40+ trips with my ebags): Two of my bags actually have a small tear on the seams 🙁
- Once you wear some items of clothing you have to put them back in the same cube with your clean clothing (So far I have just put my worn clothing in the bottom of my suitcase until I use all of my clothing). The solution would be to buy a second set and pack them empty to start.
- The Ultralight Packing Cubes come in packs with all the same colour so it is hard to tell which cube has what in it. Long term I will buy some other colours.
Verdict: Could I travel without them? Yes! Do I want to? No! I certainly will be using them every trip from now on